Monday, April 11, 2016

Dominique in Toledo!



¡Hola desde Espana! 

Toledo at sunset

I left the States believing that six months was a long time. I mean, it’s half a year! Yet here I am in the beginning of April already depressed that I have to leave in 65 days. I remember calling my parents two days after I arrived in Toledo and telling them that I was never coming back! My experience in Toledo has been AMAZING. It’s not been without its ups and downs (not finding an apartment right away, trying to figure out the very different school schedule, realizing my Spanish wasn’t as good as I thought it was, etc.). However, in the last three and a half months, I have learned more about myself and what I want to do with my life than I ever imagined. 

Toledo at night

While I didn’t really go through that period of culture shock, I have really enjoyed taking note of all the differences not only between Greensboro and Toledo, but also comparing life in a small city like Toledo to some of the bigger ones like Madrid. I have to be honest and admit that my favorite part has been siesta. I’ve definitely gotten used to living in a country where napping is a national institution! I love living in a culture that’s so family-oriented. My apartment is right in front of a school so one of my favorite parts of the day is listening to all the kids chatter with their parents as they walk home from school. Also, Spaniards have zero sense of personal space. I don’t think I’ve given so many hugs and kisses in my entire life as I have here! That was certainly an adjustment.

Hiking

School was and still is rather intense. I learned very quickly that my Spanish was not as good as I thought. Between the accents and the speed, sometimes it takes complete concentration to understand even the simplest sentences. Thankfully, my Spanish has improved a lot! The professors here are so relaxed. It’s so weird to me that they don’t care if you come to class! Then there’s the fact that there is little to no homework. So easy to fall into the trap of not studying!

When you try to feed the pigeons.....
 
One of the best parts of studying abroad in Europe has been how easy it is to travel. So far I’ve been to Lisbon (my favorite so far), Sintra, Paris, Madrid, and London. I have plans to visit Barcelona, Dublin, Valencia, Cuenca, Venice and Rome in the coming weeks once school winds down a little bit.  

Wandering around Madrid

Adventures in Portugal


London trip!
 
I have to say my favorite part of studying abroad has been all the wonderful people from all over the world that I’ve met. My roommates and I hosted an international potluck with a bunch of the other international students from our school and ended up with thirty people representing fourteen countries! It was so cool to taste a little piece of each country! We had a blast and created some great memories!

International Dinner

International Dinner
 
I’ll end with this. Don’t take the opportunity to study abroad for granted. Do everything! Face your fears, travel, get to know people. I know it’s cliché, but SAY YES! You never know what amazing memories you’ll have the chance to make. 

 
I can't believe I am living here!

!Hasta luego!

Dominique Brown
Universidad de Castilla-Mancha, Toledo
Toledo, Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment