Thursday, May 28, 2015

Elena and Morry Fitzroy in New Zealand!


Kia Ora! Greetings from Aotearoa!

That’s the Maori name for New Zealand, and translates as “Land of the Long White Cloud”.
What made me decide to come to this place of all places in the world? Well, let me start out by confessing that I really knew nothing about New Zealand when I filled out my Study Abroad paperwork. “That’s the island somewhere near Australia or something, right?” (It’s actually divided into the North Island and South Island!) Perhaps if I was a bigger fan of the Fantasy film genre, I would have known a bit more about the country, which filmmakers love to make use of for its breathtaking scenery and widely diverse landscapes. My Lord-of-the-Rings-fanatic roommate probably had a much clearer reason for choosing to study here. But me, well, I’m fairly certain that I didn’t actually choose New Zealand at all – I believe it chose me. It just felt like the “Elena thing to do”. And since I typically like to follow my heart when making big decisions, that’s exactly what I did. 

Flying over the South Island
It wasn’t until right before my trip that I found out that my very own godmother had travelled to New Zealand herself when she was just around my age, a few decades ago. She fell completely in love with Aotearoa but hasn’t been back in many years, simply because it breaks her heart too badly every time she has to return home. Perhaps that gives you somewhat of an indication of just how enchanting New Zealand is!

After just a little over three months here, I can certainly say I understand now what my godmother was talking about. With a population of only 4 million people - but 30 million sheep - there is plenty of room for Morry Fitzroy to roam around and take flight over the sandy beaches, rugged volcanoes, and luscious island forests, not to mention the icy glaciers, splendid mountains, and rolling green hills. He’s been having a lot of adventures here in the beautiful south Pacific, and even made it across the Tasman Sea to Australia for a week! Morry Fitzroy delighted in finding koalas, kangaroos, wombats, wallabies and emus in their natural habitats while hitchhiking along the Great Ocean Road. He also liked to get lost at the Queen Victoria market among all the fresh produce, relish the Melbourne coffee culture, and explore National Park wonders. 

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

In the midst of the jungle

Wilson's Prom National Park, Australia


Morry Fitzroy at the Queen Victoria Market

 
Morry Fitzroy has been a great travel companion all around New Zealand as well, with a wicked sense of adventure. We snorkeled over coral and cruised around the Bay of Islands together, climbed the great Tongariro Crossing in 7 hours 42 minutes, road-tripped through the South Island, and experienced the Maori culture with a traditional, earth-cooked Hangi dinner.  Morry Fitzroy enjoyed this special treat so much I couldn’t get him to sit still anymore after learning the Haka dance! Although that was really nothing compared to the task of dragging him out of Hobbiton! Who would have thought it would be so hard to convince a dragon that he is not in fact a Hobbit? Though I had to admit, the little houses were conveniently just the perfect size for him… 

Bay of Islands
Tongariro Crossing
South Island roadtrippin'

Maori carvings


Hobbiton!

Throughout all these journeys, there has been plenty of sunshine and rain, and more often than not both in the same day (if you thought Greensboro weather was unpredictable you should see the 10-minute-changes in Auckland!). In that time there was also hiking, and rafting, and lots and lots of tea. So much tea, in fact, that our apartment is now known as “Tea Club”J. Fortunately for me, I was placed into a flat with three lovely girls who happen to be equally avid tea drinkers as myself. One from back home (Jamie Moore from UNCG!), one from Canada, and one original Kiwi, to make quite an interesting bunch with quite peculiar eating habits, but I couldn’t possibly imagine my life without these quirky, once-in-a-blue-moon, wonderful souls anymore! We’ve become a real family here, and though I was never a homesick child, I can already foresee that happening for the home we’ve created here together. We’ve shared hours of laughter and buckets of tears, and oh yes, not to forget, countless pots of tea!

Jamie and Elena learning the Haka Warrior Dance

I’ll tell you one thing though, when you study abroad, your problems from back home won’t all just vanish into thin air. For the first half of my journey, I carried around a broken heart from the past, as well as the anxiety from a family breaking apart in the near future.  While I won’t go into more details, I will warn you that it can sometimes be hard to “enjoy everything to the fullest” when your mind is abuzz and your heart is distraught. But what I learned through this time and distance is that a) it really is useless worrying about things you cannot change, so you might as well give your mind a rest and appreciate the present surroundings, the people, and the memories-in-the-making; and b) sometimes growth isn’t about adding on, it’s about letting go. 

And so that is my great discovery and my wisdom I want to pass along for all those who are seeking inner peace on this grand, ever-changing earth. No matter where you are in the world, you have to trust that everything is exactly as it needs to be – the good, the bad, and the ugly. It is all an equally important part of your big, lifelong journey. Everything that happens to you, every decision you make, creates a new layer in your existence, some of which you may want to keep and others you may decide to shed. And while you are out there, exploring new places, experiencing new things, don’t forget that in order to truly find yourself, sometimes you have to just let yourself go. Coming from halfway around the globe, and time zones ahead of the rest of the world, Morry and I learned a lesson or two about the meaning of love, courage, and following your heart. That’s what got us here in the first place, and that’s what will guide us up and down and all throughout the rest of this great big journey called life.  

We hope you enjoyed our story, our photos, and our fire-spitting wisdom.

Peace and Love,
Elena (and Morry Fitzroy)

Elena Slominski
Unitec Institute of Technology
Auckland, New Zealand 

No comments:

Post a Comment