Monday, April 14, 2014


Y Draig Goch

Croeso!!! Shwmae? [Welsh: Welcome!!! How are you?] Floyd here… the Lloyd International Honors College dragon visiting in Wales. My human, Bess, has been very busy but I am thrilled to announce that she has finally decided to let me update you on my fantastic adventures in Wales.  To begin let me introduce to you my very first known relative… This is the Welsh flag. It has been such an honor to end up in the very place where my ancestors began! Apparently, my first famous ancestor was in a wild battle fighting a white English dragon, and the historical figure Merlin, spelled Myrddin in Welsh, who was King Arthur’s advisor, convinced the king to spare my kind and thus became a forever friend to the Dragons.


Floyd and his human Bess


 This is my human and our hometown named Carmarthen [Welsh: Caerfyrdden].  Carmarthenshire is home to the highest population of Welsh speakers in the country. The land is so green and the people are incredibly considerate. The countryside takes my breath every time! I am just loving this area.


Floyd basks in the sun



Llansteffan Castle. One of Wales 642 castles/ruins. Wales possesses the highest number of castles of ANY European country and it is also one of the smallest countries. Pretty cool hey? Llansteffan is only about a 15 minute drive from my human’s campus. She seems to think that’s pretty awesome, but I mean when you can fly anywhere in the country within two minutes, something like that seems minimal. 


Floyd contemplates taking a dip!





The last thing I will share with you is a view of my ocean.  Because the UK is an island we have AMAZING beaches.  I have loved taking a few days to just enjoy the few sunny and warm days that Wales oceans have had to offer thus far.  Hope all my siblings across the world are holding down the fort.  What a pleasure to share only a small piece of this adventure with you all!

Bess Hopkins
University of Trinity St. David
Wales



No comments:

Post a Comment